It wasn’t long ago that any talk about real estate markets in Ontario was only focused on markets in Toronto and the GTA. But that’s all changed. Home sales have been rising across Ontario, with some areas even outpacing Toronto and the GTA.
Keswick, Georgina and Mount Albert houses for sale are most definitely a part of the strong real estate market in Ontario.
If you’re planning to put your house on the market, the following tips will not only help you sell it faster, but they will also help with other aspects like pricing your home and getting top dollar for it.
Tips for Selling Your Home in Ontario
Even if you’re just thinking of selling your house, it’s a good idea to learn as much about the selling process as you can. And that’s the basis for our first tip.
- Manage Your Expectations – This is our main, overarching tip. Especially if you haven’t been in the real estate market for a while, managing your expectations alone can turn a stressful process into a rewarding experience.
First, be ready for real estate agents and potential buyers alike to not think quite as highly of your home as you do. You probably have made your home perfect for your needs and wants, but that isn’t always appealing to others.
Get to know your local real estate market. Hire a professional real estate agent. One with experience in your neighbourhood, and can help you understand the market and how to get the most from it.
- Declutter, Then Declutter Some More – When most people think of decluttering, they usually think of getting rid of the stuff on the coffee table. Yes, that’s a good start. But decluttering to sell your home means eliminating the feel of a cluttered room. In other words, you might need to get rid of the coffee table itself.
Be ready for some professional home staging to help your house stand out from the rest.
- Check the Curb Appeal of Your Home – Many studies show that potential buyers decide that they like your home within the first few minutes of seeing it from the outside. So, make sure to keep the outside of your home looking its best too.
- Do the Best Home Improvement for Selling Your Home – Paint the walls. Time and again it is the home improvement that offers the highest return on investment. Choose neutral colors which will help buyers to envision themselves in your home, versus seeing your favourite colours.
- Make Sure Everything is in Good Working Order – Even if your home is stunning inside and out, if the handrails on your staircase are loose, it will turn buyers away. Be ready for buyers to try the faucets, run a finger along your kitchen counter, and check the furnace.
If you’re selling your home, you’re probably buying a home. To learn more, check out our article “Why 2021 Will Be Another Great Year to Buy a Home”.